Slideshow Image 1 Slideshow Image 2 Slideshow Image 3 Slideshow Image 3
Sunday, March 22, 2015

Too busy

Robyn's artwork for the day.  Evidently this was done before Jeremy shaved for church!  I love that Robyn is "the best".  I have been loving our weekend.  This has been one of those weeks that make you look forward to two days of resting and catching up on projects and family time.  Throw in some yoga and running with a friend and a night of watching Interstellar with Spencer and a night of watching Imitation Game with Jeremy and I feel like it has been a great break from the week.  It wasn't bad just busier than usual.

This week Jeremy got dumped on twice by me.  He has been working non-stop on some side projects which has meant he has been working all weekend and most nights this week very late.  He is grateful for the work but they all want their stuff done immediately.  And then he comes home Wednesday to find out he needs to go pick up the girls and their carpool from play practice.  Food is all over the counter because dinner and the next night's dinner is only half done.  And the reason I wasn't more on top of this is because I had been waiting for Spencer's bus (more on this later) and the bus hadn't come yet so eventually he would need to go pick Spencer up.  And here is Taylor who still needs to be fed, pilled and changed.  And I am off to have dinner with friends.  I come home two hours later to Spencer successfully home after Jeremy let him drive on the freeway.  Dinner all done and put away.  Kids going to bed.  And with all that going on, a starling who had tried to make a nest in our dryer hose, broke free of the hose, and was loose in our house.
Jeremy managed to save the bird and we repaired our dryer Saturday.

Then just to make sure he still loves me.  I race home the next night to dump all the kids with Jeremy after a long dentist visit and take off with Allison for YM/YW where we hosted the special needs mutual.  At least this time dinner was made!  But he still had to deal with volleyball practice and Robyn with a sore mouth from getting a tooth pulled and having a bad allergic reaction.

It was just one of those weeks that make you glad for the quieter ones.  It was all good - just busy.

On Wednesday Spencer had a competition all day for his Technology Student Association.  His group made a website for it.  We didn't really understand all the details.  He got up at 4 am to make sure he wasn't late as he needed to be at Lehi High School by 5:20 for the buses.  We were there by 5.  He was all dressed up and had meals packed for the day and asked me to pick him up at 5:30 when he got back.  After his late night of volleyball games the night before he just crashed while we waited for everyone to show up.
Turns out that now we know they provide all the meals, you should enter more than one area and that the closing ceremonies START at 5:30 and the buses get back more like 8:30.  And I learned that if we are going to have a son without a phone I need to be more on the ball with itineraries and teacher cell phone numbers.  Just assuming my child will hear all the relevant details and tell them to me does not work in events like this.   But I did get to sit and have some quiet reading time in the parking lot with Taylor for an hour or so while I had this mom teaching moment.  Wish I knew what I needed to know before I needed to know it!

With all the good weather kids have been anxious to play outside.  Last Sunday we went to Robyn's school with family to check out the playground.
And today after  church we checked out a new playground that the kids discovered.  Its sort of a hidden city park by us that I never knew was there.  Spencer has been leading the charge to go geocaching lately.  Robyn and Allison have been taking turns biking around the neighborhood with him.  They have their moments when they all get along and the teenage mood swings align up and it is awesome to be around.  On Monday Spencer had to go bowling to make-up for missing Fitness on Wednesday.  I know its such a weird way to get class credit.  Allison decided to go with him - first willingly than unwillingly.  But they ended up having a great time and bought each other junk food as a way to say thank you.  It almost makes up for the picking and snottiness in the other times...almost.

We have been starting to get our yard picked up - always a huge project.  Jeremy hung up our gate into our garden so hopefully the chickens will stop eating our veggies.  I mowed our lawn for the first time sucking up all the dead leaves and winter debris.  I was one big ball of dust afterwards.  Our trees our starting to popcorn all over and daffodils are coming out.

For St. Patrick's Day I thought I was pretty on top of it.  I bought Lucky Charms for breakfast, packed all green foods for kids to bring to school for lunch and had reuben sandwiches ready to eat at Spencer's volleyball game.  Robyn came home disgusted with her elementary school class for not having a big party and lots of activities and demanded to know where the  traps and surprise parties were.  I informed her that SHE was welcome to do any of those activities after she got her jobs done but that I was not doing them for her.  She has a scrooge for a mom.  Luckily she has a big sister who got quite inventive with a big scavenger hunt, clues and several mysterious phone calls from the local leprechaun.  Both girls had a great afternoon doing this once they realized that I wasn't doing it for them and that I wouldn't allow them to make anything with sugar (cookies are always the fall back in our house and I am trying to get away from that).
Taylor has been struggling a bit with a big increase in seizures.  I think its just constipation preventing him from absorbing his meds again.  So we have been cleaning him out this weekend.  Hopefully this next week will be better and he can be happy with this sunshiny weather.  Right now he is curled up with Jasper in his beanbag by the fireplace.  Always a favorite place.