Slideshow Image 1 Slideshow Image 2 Slideshow Image 3 Slideshow Image 3
Sunday, May 27, 2018


At the end of April I picked Spencer up and brought him home for a crazy 10 days to get ready for his mission.  We had a combined wish Spencer good luck on his mission and tell Taylor Happy Birthday party.  It was awesome to hang out with so many friends for a beautiful evening of just visiting and being together.  The people our family are surrounded with are truly awe inspiring in the kindness, love, acceptance and support they show towards our family.  It is completely undeserved and so appreciated and welcomed. 

We also were able to go see the new Avengers as Spencer waited till after finals to go with us.  Then Jeremy was off for a week long business trip.  I think he timed it to miss all the last minute shopping trips and appointments.  Spencer was either seeing doctors, picking up odds and ends or vising different temples all week long.  It was a good week but just a tad stressful on me as emotions were all running high I think.  One super nice thing that Spencer did though was to camp out at the pool at 6 am Monday morning for two hours to get Robyn signed up for swim team.  She was very appreciative.

Jeremy arrived home from his trip Friday night just in time to meet me at Costco after I hit another car.  It was not my best moment.

You know those times when you just can't quite wrap your head around how you are going to be able to handle everything?  I couldn't stop crying at random moments for a day or two, my head hurt constantly and my had had a burn on it that really hurt.  But when ever I wonder how God is planning to have me handle everything - he always shows me the way.  Which includes lots of sleep, chocolate and love shown towards us by many people - including several car loan offers.  So a few hours later I was at the temple with Spencer and Robyn having my son baptize me and confirm me for his first time.  An awesome evening that gave me some perspective back. 

Spencer and I spent Saturday packing and then we all went to Jason and Kelly's for a family dinner.

Monday morning Maria came over at 6 to stay with Taylor and the rest of us drove up to SLC.  We were able to attend a Monday devotional with his mission, meet his mission presidency and many of the other elders and say good-bye.  Spencer was so excited and thrilled to be there and was eager to get on with mission life.  After attending the devotional, none of us had any doubts that this was the perfect fit for Spencer and that he would thrive in this environment.

We have had texts from senior missionaries working with him that Spencer is doing wonderfully in the Family History Discover Center and his emails sound like he is just living his dream right now. 

And for the rest of us life continues with all the end of the year activities and field trips and testing not just for my kids but also my students.  Robyn is ending elementary school so they have had author's fairs and 6th grade swim parties and country reports and many other things that I am sure I have missed seeing and hearing about.

So periodically we take breaks for snow cones:

or the city pool opening:

Allison took MORP pictures for her friends, following in her dad's footsteps:

Allison was selected by her teacher as one of two top chemistry students at her school.  So I got to spend an evening at BYU with her and all the chemistry nerds exploring the labs and presentations.  Seriously proud of that girl.

I was able to chaperone Allison's choir for their choir festival one Saturday.  My favorite part was when one girl who seemed to have some struggles came up to me and told me "I really like Allison.  Just so you know, she is one of the nicest people ever."

Allison had been studying for finals and AP tests, best buddies activities and service projects and lots of soccer games to go to and cheer.  Our high school won the state championship which was an amazing game of 2 over times and going to a kick-off.  Allison is so busy I am always grateful for some family time.

Jeremy came home from dropping Spencer of in SLC, changed and then was back off on another business trip for a week.  He had a pretty bad bike crash a few weeks earlier and  his shoulder is still giving him a lot of grief.  So its good that on these trips he has been an editor and not a photographer.

But he hasn't given up riding and has been trying to get out as much as possible since he came back home.

And when the pain gets bad, Jasper is always ready to help out.

On the Friday evening he flew back to UT he went straight to the hospital for a bunch of immunizations in preparation for loosing his spleen.  Then he met me to go out for a steak one last time.  Then his colonoscopy was last week.  Not fun preparing for but on the good news side - there were no signs of tumor on the inside of the colon.  That is really good news for us.   I was grateful for aides who cover for me so I can go to these things.

We are still van shopping but hoping to find a good replacement soon.  We now know all the vans that won't work with Taylor's wheelchair so that has helped narrow down the selection quite a bit.